Today we can do all kinds of hairstyles at home and even cut our hair , but if we also want a color change and try new things, nothing like choosing a dye that is striking, something that may need a prior bleaching.
How to bleach your hair at home is what we explain below so that you can bleach your hair by yourself easily, and so you can wear it as is or later apply a dye of the color you want.
What Is Hair Bleaching
Before explaining what are the steps to take to be able to bleach your hair at home , you have to know what hair bleaching is and what it consists of.
We all have a hair color , whether we are blondes, brunettes or chestnuts , and depending on that color (or intensity of pigment), it will be impossible for our hair to change color and more when, for example, we want to go from black hair to one that is blonde.
For this, there is the so-called hair bleaching, a process that consists of applying a bleaching product through which we eliminate the pigment from our hair so that we can then apply any dye color since what we do is lighten the hair to the maximum .
Nowadays , hair bleaching is in fashion thanks to the trend of wearing white, gray, or very light blonde hair and although depending on our natural hair color, the discoloration will be more or less marked, the truth is that wearing bleached hair is something that many people want to try at least once in their life, so if you are one of those people and want to do the bleaching at home, follow these steps.
Two weeks before undergoing the process, give your hair an extra dose of hydration. It all adds up! From a homemade mask like this banana one , to using a product like Dove Regenerative Growth hair Daily Super Hydrator , the goal is to moisturize the fibers to avoid damage as much as possible.
The day before, apply an oil from medium to ends to reinforce moisture. And something very important: do not wash your hair the day you are going to bleach it, since the essential oils that your scalp produces will keep it protected (less itching and / or burning) and – incidentally – will also preserve the hair fiber.
Steps To Bleach Hair At Home
In order to bleach your hair at home you will need the following:
Bleaching or Bleaching Product
Peroxide (This is the peroxide liquid that activates the bleach so that it can lighten the hair. It is available in various volumes such as 10, 20, 30 and 40. This is indicative of the strength of the peroxide. With the information provided below, choose the ideal volume for your needs)
- Bleaching brush
- Clip for sectioning hair
- Plastic or latex gloves
- Plastic or glass bowl
- Shower cap or plastic bag
- Shampoo to balance
- Protein conditioner
- Towel and old clothes
Follow These Steps
- First of all, you should wear clothes that are not afraid of being stained or splashed by the bleaching product. Wear an old shirt and wrap a towel around your chest.
- Take the bleaching product and mix it with the peroxide in the right amount indicated in the instruction booklet. You have to do this every time you bleach your hair and also when you go to dye it.
- First you make the product in the bowl or container, then the peroxide and then you mix the two products with the help of the brush.
- Put on your gloves and start applying the product to your hair . You must apply the mixture well throughout your hair. Do not hesitate to section the hair to be able to apply it better, from the roots to the ends and wait 20 minutes. Put on your shower cap.
- After that time, you will see that the bleaching color has taken effect and your hair may look an orange tone, do not worry, it is normal.
- Apply the rest of the mixture and wait another 20 minutes.
- Now proceed to wash your hair well. Apply the balancing shampoo followed by the conditioner and allow it to work for at least 3 minutes.
- You have just washed your hair and voila! you will have already bleached your hair.
How To Take Care Of Your Hair After Bleaching It
The hydration is key. Use a hydrating mask immediately after you have rinsed off the bleach and toner with plenty of water. A weekly treatment mask will prevent your hair from becoming brittle and tangled. Try for weekly 3 times treatments and keep applying hair oils to condition and soften the ends.