Times have changed and so do cigarette options. The use of cigarettes has always been a heated topic when it comes to health risks. This pressing concern has led to the birth of the electronic cigarette, or popularly known as e-cigarettes, e-cigs, or vape pens. This latest innovation in the cigar market became popular in the early 2000s and has since been a favourite among young adults and teens.
But how do electronic cigarettes work? Are they a better alternative to real cigarettes?
How They Work
Electronic cigarettes are smoking devices that run on battery. They normally come in long tubes, resembling cigarettes, cigars, or pipes. These devices produce a mist that users inhale into their lungs, giving the same feeling and satisfaction of smoking regular cigarettes.
Most e-cigarettes are reusable and come with parts that are either replaceable or refillable. Most e-cigarettes have:
- a mouthpiece, or cartridge
- electronic circuits
- a heating element
- a rechargeable battery
To closely mimic the feeling of using a regular cigarette, a sensor activates the heating element inside the electronic cigarette when the user sucks on the mouthpiece. The heating element then vaporizes a liquid solution (flavoured or not) in the mouthpiece, providing a mist that the user inhales. There are e-cigarettes that are nicotine-free, but for those with, the nicotine level varies depending on your preference. The “extra-high” level comes with 24 to 36 milligrams of nicotine per millilitre.
The solution inside an e-cig is called e-liquid or e-juice. This solution is made from extracted tobacco nicotine mixed with a base, usually propylene glycol. Most e-juices have flavours, and there is a wide array to choose from — watermelon, strawberry, menthol, tobacco and menthol, and lava flow, among others.
Who Uses Electronic Cigarettes
According to research, there is an estimated 4.5 per cent of adults in the United States that use e-cigarettes. This is equivalent to more than 10.8 million electronic cigarette users. Based on data, most of these people use e-cigarettes on a daily basis with the highest number of users in the age of 18-24. Aside from that, within that age group, 44.3 per cent are said to be non-smokers before trying e-cigarettes.
So, why are more and more people choosing electronic cigarettes over regular cigarettes? Here are a few reasons that may have increased the popularity of e-cigarettes.
- Electronic cigarettes seem to be a safer alternative to regular cigarettes, especially for chain smokers who struggle to quit.
- There are e-cigarette variants that do not contain nicotine or other toxic chemicals that may cause diseases in the long run.
- They are said to pose fewer risks to smokers with asthma and other respiratory diseases.
- They are said to release less toxic materials compared to regular cigarettes. This means less danger of second and third-hand smoking.
- E-cigarettes are more practical and budget-friendly as most parts are refillable and reusable.
- They are stylish, thus more attractive to a lot of users.
- The variety of flavours make it more enjoyable for users.
- Most electronic cigarettes can be regulated and controlled, thus allowing the user to adjust the temperature, nicotine salts, and strength depending on his preference.
- Electronic cigarettes are said to be helpful to smokers who want to quit gradually.
Electronic cigarettes may be a better alternative to regular cigarettes. As with everything else, moderation and responsibility are always crucial to fully enjoy the many innovations we have today.