To take care of your skin it is essential to also take care of your health, since one thing is directly linked to the other. Therefore, it is not only about taking care of it with special products, but it is also essential to have foods that are beneficial for our skin and a balanced diet. In fact, probiotics are beneficial bacteria that are in our intestine and improve the general health of the body, so they help take care of our body and also our skin .
Table of Contents
What are probiotics?
Probiotics are foods or supplements that have live microorganisms . Its goal is to maintain or improve the “good” bacteria (normal microbiota) in your body. They are foods that generally have high fiber content, and act as nutrients for the human microbiota.
Once we digest them, they adhere to the wall of the intestine and act as a protective barrier. They even have the ability to strengthen defenses against pathogens and viruses . We advise you to consume at least one food source of probiotics per day.
They can be found in foods such as yogurt. Prebiotics are found in foods such as whole grains, bananas, leafy greens, onions, garlic, soy, and artichokes . Additionally, probiotics and prebiotics are added to some foods and are available as dietary supplements.
What are prebiotics?
Although it is a term very similar to probiotics, it is important to know how to differentiate them. Prebiotics are a type of functional foods that feed the microbiota and modulate its composition and activity. They serve for the growth of healthy bacteria and allow them to more effectively exert their beneficial functions on our health . In addition, they also prevent the destruction of harmful bacteria.
Prebiotics are present in many fruits and vegetables, mainly those that contain carbohydrates such as fiber and resistant starch.
Prebiotics advance intact through the digestive tract and resist the different steps of digestion: action of gastric juices and enzymes… Among other reasons, prebiotics ensure that the bacteria present in the digestive system, well nourished, can carry out their functions with excellence.
What are probiotics used for?
There is a long list of uses of probiotics , so we present what their main benefits are:
- Prevents and combats intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, Crohn’s disease and intestinal inflammation.
- Improve digestion and combat acidity
- Increases the absorption of nutrients such as vitamin B, calcium and iron
- Helps digest lactose, especially in people with intolerance to this type of component
- Strengthens the immune system by increasing the production of macrophages . Macrophages are cells that defend the body
- Fights constipation and diarrhea by regulating intestinal transit
- Prevents the destruction of bad bacteria in the intestine
- Prevents obesity, hypertension and high cholesterol problems
- Fights diseases such as hemorrhoids, urinary tract infection, candidiasis and cancer
- Prevents food intolerances and allergies
- Helps improve mood. A direct relationship has been found between the balance of intestinal flora with a decrease in depression, anxiety and stress
A healthy intestinal flora rich in probiotics is formed from birth, especially when the baby is born through normal delivery or when it is exclusively breastfedding from the first days of life.
How to take probiotics?
There are two main ways to take probiotics. One of them is through increasing the consumption of foods considered natural probiotics. For example yogurt or kefir. On the other hand and the other way, is through the use of supplements with probiotics. If you are considering taking supplements, check with your doctor to make sure they are right for you.
Foods rich in probiotics are:
- Natural yogurt: they are the main and easiest source of probiotics on the market
- Kefir: is a product fermented with yeast and bacteria that resembles yogurt, but has a higher amount of probiotics
- Kombucha: is a fermented drink made mainly from black tea
- Sauerkraut: is a culinary preparation that is made through the fermentation of fresh cabbage leaves.
- Pickles: it is a preparation in which cucumbers must be placed in water and salt, and let them ferment for a while
- Sourdough or natural yeast: it is a live culture composed of yeasts and bacteria that are produced through the fermentation of cereals and microorganisms that are naturally found in the environment. They are normally used to make various products such as bread, cakes and cookies.
- Cheeses: some of them may also contain live cultures of microorganisms with probiotic properties. We recommend that you read the nutritional labeling to confirm its bacterial content.
- Probiotic supplements
Probiotics can also be consumed as supplements . There are various options: capsules, liquids or sachets, which must be diluted in water or natural juices to be consumed. They can be found in pharmacies or nutritional stores.
Keep in mind that the greater the diversity of probiotics, as well as the number of bacteria within each tablet, the better the supplement. In this way it will facilitate the balance and faster development of a healthy intestinal flora.
Also Read : Complete Guide To Caring For Your Sensitive Skin